Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Whale or Mermaid??

I saw a yahoo news bit today about PETA's newest billboard that says "Save the Whales" Loose the blubber and had a picture of an overweight woman in a bikini. I thought it was very offensive as they are saying all you have to do to lose weight is eat vegetarian. Well when later searching the groups I like to read I came across this fantastic article. I have decided I'd rather be a whale That being said I'm off to have an ice cream cone with the kids and go splash in a body of water HUGS all.

Recently, in a large French city, a poster featuring
> a young, thin and tan woman appeared in the window of a gym. It said:
>
> THIS SUMMER DO YOU WANT TO BE A MERMAID OR A WHALE?
>
> A middle aged woman, whose physical characteristics did not match
> those of
> the woman on the poster, responded publicly to the question posed by the
> gym.
>
> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> Whales are always surrounded by friends (dolphins, sea lions, curious
> humans). They have an active sex life, they get pregnant and have
> adorable
> baby whales. They have a wonderful time with dolphins stuffing themselves
> with shrimp. They play and swim in the seas, seeing wonderful places like
> Patagonia, the Bering Sea and the coral reefs of Polynesia. Whales are
> wonderful singers and have even recorded CDs. They are incredible
> creatures
> and virtually have no predators other than humans. They are loved,
> protected
> and admired by almost everyone in the world.
>
> Mermaids don't exist. If they did exist, they would be lining up
> outside the
> offices of Argentinean psychoanalysts due to identity crisis. Fish or
> human?
> They don't have a sex life because they kill men who get close to them
> not
> to mention how could they have sex? Therefore they don't have kids
> either.
> Not to mention who wants to get close to a girl who's skin is all
> scaly and
> smells like a fish store?
>
> The choice is perfectly clear to me... I want to be a whale.
>
> P.S. We are in an age when media puts into our heads the idea that only
> skinny people are beautiful, but I prefer to enjoy an ice cream with my
> grandkids, a good dinner with a man who makes me shiver and a latte
> with my
> friends. With time, we gain weight because we accumulate so much
> information
> and wisdom in our heads that when there is no more room, it
> distributes out
> to the rest of our bodies. So we aren't heavy, we are enormously
> cultured,
> educated and happy. Beginning today, when I look at my butt in the
> mirror I
> will think, "Good gosh, look how smart I am!"

3 comments:

Somerhill said...

Speaking as someone more likely to identify with the whales than the mermaids....this is terrific!
p.s. I must be a genius!

Maggie's Farm said...

Now, now, Kimmie. When I read your post I was afraid to see the billboard. After getting a look on the Today Show I was a little amused. It's not that offensive, IMHO, and has the "ring of truth." I truly believe giving up meat would be a good thing for the planet, and a whole lot of humans, as well as the animals. Not all meat is raised like my spoiled rotten piggies. I wish I had the will power to go veggie. I've never known a fat vegetarian. PETA does this sort of thing for "shock value" and it works. Look at all the coverage it got! They do a lot of good, like dropping off dog houses to poor critters living under picnic tables, etc. You are so sweet and good hearted and passionate and I love you for it!

Tammy W. said...

Hi Kim - I guess I must be incredibly cultured and full of wisdom :-)
I have to say - for all us non-skinnies out there - this is fantastic! I love it!