Monday, August 13, 2007

Back from the Sheep Dog Trials

Well three fun and exciting days of Sheep Dog Trials are come and gone.
We had a great time there -always busy but so much to see and do. Old friends to catch up with and new friends to make. Saturday four teams competed in the sheep to shawl competition -I always love watching these talented spinners and weavers working together to take a raw fleece and transform it into works of art.

Sunday saw two memories that will alwasy stick out in my mine. First was aquiring a pair of socks that were spun in an original Jazy Dyesigns by Jared -one of his first works now made into a warm and toasty treat for his proud mommy to wear :)

Second moment was a little harder and tearier but sweet all the same. A little black faced border collie puppy trotted its way over to me tounge handing out, leash dragging on the ground and happy with its whole body wagging in delight at being free. I picked her up to find her owner only to have a nice young man come over and say "Scamper you naughty little thing there you are." Well tears started to flow. I explained to him that I had lost my old girl this spring and her name too had been Scamper. It turns out she had been named something else but when he and his wife went to get her at the breeders his wife decided she was Scamper. When he introduced his wife and told her about my Scamper it turned out they had picked her up on the day we put Scamper down. It was so sweet and reassuring to think there is still a Scamper rolling in the grass and playing with a new family. I came home and hugged Java who seemed to understnad that she and I had a whole life ahead of us and that memories would always be sweet. I'll never regret for a heartbeat the life I had with Scamper or the fun that awaits me with Java -both dogs are treasures beyond all else -unless you consider my hubby and kids first which I do (grin). They came to see me down at the trials all weekend -bringing treats and heading off to the beach for a swim or two. There was a jungle cat display there with a baby tiger and Jared got to go swimming with him -wish I could have seen that! Talk about a story to go back to school with!

I bought Java a new lead at the sheep dog trials - I could not resist it its bright pink and says "One of us is a Bitch". Heehee now wonder who is and who isn't . I also got some beautiful wildflower honey from a local farmer there and loaded up at the farmers market on the way home -all those gorgeous fresh veggies !! And come winter I now have an order for farm raised pork, chicken and beef -no store bought for me!

No comments: